August Maksimilian Myhrberg, son of Raahe
August Maksimilian Myhrberg is the only Raahelainen to get a statue made and a park named after him in his memory. The sculptor Evert Porilan sculpted the statue which was erected in 1931.
Myhrberg was born in Raahe in the late 18th century. He himself announced his birthday the last day of the century. Maksimilian's mother was Raahelainen Kristiina Sovelius. His father Anders Gustaf had moved from Raahee to Sweden in 1792, and in that same year he and Kristiina Sovelius had married.
The family moved to Oulu when Maximilian was six years old (at the start of 1804). After matriculation, Maksimilian began his studies at the University of Turku. He would have wanted to become a soldier, but his father wanted his son to become a lawyer. "Augustine's hobbies are only directed at law books," was the unambiguous statement by Father Myhrberg.
After his father died, Maksimilian fulfilled his wishes and took up military service. He participated in The Spanish Civil War, the Greek Freedom of War and the Polish Revolt. He had the most fame when he was fighting alongside the Philadelphians in Greece against the Turks. He spent seven years in Greece.
Maximilian is reported to have visited Raahe in 1852 for Johan Sovelius's funeral. He spent most of his life outside the Finnish borders and his final years in Stockholm, where he died in 1867.
Gröna Slottet, Raahe's oldest house
August Maximilian Myhrberg's birthplace, Sovelius House, is one of Raahe's oldest buildings. It is currently owned by the Sovelius Foundation. The town of Raahe has rented the building's museum office and exhibition space.
The objective of the Raahe Museum and Sovelius Family Foundation is to rebuild a shipowner-merchant museum to tell the modern man about lifestyles and ways of life in the bourgeoisie during the Rise of Raahe.
In the spring of 1990, an upstairs exhibition was opened of the 1890s. The ground floor of the house is used as a space for rolling exhibitions. When the town reached 350 years, the Sovelius house had a new exhibition to offer to the public: the home of the ship owner was completed and opened.
The house is located on the same plot as the handsome town palace of Raahe's first mayor, Hendrich Corte from the 1600s. The plot and its buildings were owned by various owners until the late 18th century when it was purchased by merchant Matts Sovelius. He built a magnificent main building on the plot that has been preserved to this day so close to its original state.
The Sovelius House is a typical 18th century bourgeois house. It is a two-story, saddle-lined and lined so-called. (peiterimalaudoituksella). Window alterations were made to the house during the late 1900s and the outdoor facade of the yard was built in the 1910-20s.
In the time of Johan Sovelius in 1802, King Gustav IV Adolf visited the house. Sovelius is told to have spread a blue flag on the road to get the king's attention.
An old dungeon which survives in the courtyard of the Sovelius house gets the imagination in motion. The small, dark basement is a place where the perpetrators are locked up to think about their deeds. In old times even falling asleep on the church bench was punished by a spell in the small dark dungeon.
Brahenkatu 2, culture and representation
Brahenkatu 2 is a historic place. The site was the home of Raahe's first Town hall, built in the 17th century, and the second built in the 18th century after the Great War.
When the town burned down almost completely in October 1810, it was decided to build a new centre in Pekkatori. Shipowner Fredrik Sovelius, switched a plot he owned to an appartment in Pekkatori from a building in this location. He built a home for his 11-member family in 1812. In 1923, merchant Antti Pietilä bought the house from the Sovelius family.
The town bought the house from Pietilä's parish in 1980. The house has a total of about 600 square metres.
At the other end there are office facilities, town centre meeting rooms and a street-side wing gathering facilities and amateur workplaces.
Brahenkatu 2 has a courtyard where one of the few original gates is preserved. In the yard, theatrical performances and other cultural events take place during the summer. The yard was once inhabited by the well-known Raahelainen poet and the author, Risto Sassali.
The Sovelius generation has influenced Raahe since the very beginning. The Sovelius family were almost all merchants and later shipowners.
The fire of Raahe in 1810
On the night of October 6, a devastating fire broke out and burning ash was spread by a fierce western storm into three quarters of the town, destroying about 60 buildings. Amongst them was the town hall and its archives were destroyed. Only a church, a school, a few houses from Rantakatu and small habitats to the north of the church were spared.
The reconstruction of the town was started quickly. Houses bought from the countryside were moved to the town, some houses were imported from Sweden.
Land surveyor Gustaf Odenwall issued instructions for rebuilding. The 1811 plan provided street widths and plot sizes, which are almost the same to this day.
A new market was to be constructed at the junction of Isokatu and Kirkkokatu. The marketplace is known today as Pekkatori.